Wednesday, April 16, 2014

N ~ Not Your Business #atozchallenge


All Aboard! "It's Very Swedish..." a train on a cultural journey through Sweden, exploring the differences big and small between American and Swedish culture.

***
If you were a true Swede, you wouldn't have a blog like mine.  I'm not "Very Swedish..." when it comes to my online life.  I don't have an online persona.  Tina is my real name.  Doesn't take much to figure out my last name.  I've told you where I live.  I've shown you pictures of my family.  I've shared embarrassing stories, my faith, my struggles, my successes, MY LIFE.

I called The Swede and asked him to speak openly about the famous Swedish reserved personality.  (We both got a chuckle out of that oxymoron.)  Remember that we're talking generalities here, because I am not your average American, I am much more outgoing and let-it-all-hang-out than most people.  There's also that spectrum of course when it comes to Swedes.

In general though, they tend to be more reserved, and keep their thoughts, problems, etc. private, maybe sharing with a best friend, but certainly not "with the world at large" or a casual friend.

This trait isn't just Swedish, it's more a northern European quality, as The Nutritionist likes to say.  It's not that they're unfriendly - a clerk in a store is just as likely to engage you in a casual conversation as is an American clerk.

If you want a good example of reserved, there's this really wonderful, quirky movie called Kitchen Stories about Norwegian bachelor farmers being observed by researchers as to their cooking habits. The main character just stops using his kitchen, and cooks in a closet over the kitchen, cutting a hole in the floor to observe the lonely observer, who is sitting in the kitchen wondering what the farmer is eating, and where...I'd call that being private.

Since this is all about privacy, and being reserved, that's all you get today.  OK, truthfully, it's not about me all of a sudden changing my personality.  I'm just out of time!

Would you say you lean more toward the quiet, keep to yourself side, or are you more let it all hang out?  Is that a cultural trait would you say, or just YOUR personality?  It's just so fun to have such an international group of readers to learn from.  I'm SO enjoying your comments.

~Tina, who will continue to just blab away about anything and everything, again tomorrow ;-)

©2014 All Rights Reserved


14 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tina .. I'm fairly reserved but open I'd say .. I tend to be fairly careful as my family and friends do not blog - so the odd snippet gets out but I just keep some restraint.

But you do let us in .. and it's great to be able to get to know you and your family .. and the friendly Tina face is always there ..

I guess I'm a north European! Cheers Hilary

Andrea said...

Just trying to keep it real, whatever that means on any given day!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I must be a little Swedish then! You know I'm a private person, although I wouldn't hid in a closet if someone wanted to watch me cook.
Of course I rather blew that privacy thing with my post today.
Crap, off to hide again...

Brian Miller said...

i tend to let it all hang out...i will share, talk about most anything...but not obnoxiously...ha...i know when to shut up...

Kate @ Another Clean Slate said...

I'm a little of both- some things I keep tight to the vest but others I am open about!

Anonymous said...

I definitely got that impression when I lived in Europe. They truly keep to themselves, even with their families at times. They weren't all touchy feely like us Americans. But, not rude at all, like you said. Just reserved.

Darla Sue Dollman said...

I am shy and quiet for the most part, but very outgoing around my grandchildren and on Facebook and my blogs. Surprisingly, I've been a journalist for 34 years. Sometimes I wonder how I managed that! Lol!

Andrew Leon said...

I'm much more "out there" online than I am in person.

JoJo said...

I usually let it all hang out, which Russell just hates. He still says, 'you put everything on FB' which isn't true at all. There are plenty of things I don't put out there that I would have in my old life. ;)

A Tarkabarka Hölgy said...

Americans definitely share more than I was used to back in Hungary. That in itself has it good and bad implications...

@TarkabarkaHolgy from
Multicolored Diary - Tales of colors
MopDog - The crazy thing about Hungarians...

Joanne said...

I spent a summer in Sweden at age 15 as an exchange student. The Swedes were reserved in some ways and then crazy unreserved in others - like typical European toplessness was no big deal at the lakes. I, Puritan Pennsylvania girl, was shocked. It's interesting and living with a family was such a great experience. I look back on that as one of the highlights of my life (now middle aged)

Melinda said...

Saw you on Jenny's blog and popped
over. I think I am a bit of both.
Depends on the situation I guess.

M : )
Country Dreaming



Claudia said...

smiles.. i tend to be more quiet and don't carry my heart on my sleeves usually...i don't open up to people easily though i guess if someone reads my poems they get to know me pretty well...smiles

Kathe W. said...

oh hah! We loved that movie Kitchen Stories- thanks for reminding me about it! I must rent it again. As for me? I am more outgoing the older I get. I'll start up a conversation with just about anybody- unless it is an obviously not nice and mean person. Altough part of me wants to ask them "What would make you smile" But then I'd most likely be sorry I asked. Your blog is simply delightful and I love it! Cheers!