Friday, February 8, 2013

Nickname Tab Updates!

Hey Wonderful Readers, longtime and new (thank you!) followers:

I thought that since both my boys wanted new nicknames I'd better update the tab.  Of course I have a hidden agenda as well - for the new followers who might not know the people in my world, this is a SUBTLE  hint to read the tab above to get to know me and my family better.

Here are the new ones, for those who've already read the tab, which I renamed, because people were thinking that they could put their own nickname in there and it would translate it...which is a really cool idea, but no.  That's not what it's for.
 
The Transporter: formerly known as Jake, our almost 16 year-old who has his precious permit. I'm a princess-cup-holder now! He drives me everywhere at the drop of a hat, and always wants to stop by our favorite coffee drive-through. Of course, we drive ANCIENT cars, none of which have cup-holders. Yes, they do exist – cars with no cup-holders. Except me. He says I'm an excellent cup holder. He's an excellent driver, and I'm so grateful. I'm driving phobic since the car accident in 2007 which totaled my car. Life is Good.

OYT: Stands for Our Youngest Teen, and formerly known as YellowBoy, who now at 13 thinks the YB makes him sound “baby-ish” and so he picked this nickname instead. He's excelling in school, but has inherited his mother's extreme medical worst case scenario situation so it's been tough going lately with concussion, closed head injury, neck injury, and a never-ending sinus infection. Told you this was an update. I plan on doing them more than once a year.

Now to introduce a new blog resident. I've wanted to write about her for a long time, but with my procrastination, never got to asking her if it was OK, and if she wanted a nickname, or her real name or “don't you DARE write about me”...but I should have known. She's all for it. We have similar personalities...as you'll see as I write more about

SMK. Stands for“Sister Mary Katherine”. Don't laugh. She's nowhere near a nun, though her mother called her that as a child HOPING it might influence her. Instead she's an in-home daycare provider (bless her heart – I don't know how ya'll who do it, do it...) and lives across the street. Over the 12 years we've been in this house, she and I have gone from neighbors to acquaintances to friends to dear friends. I'm truly blessed to have her in my life. A post all about her is coming up soon. I did write a poem about her...here's the link if you're interested

If you'd like to get to know the other people in my life who have agreed to be on my blog from time to time, check out the nickname tab above. I'll alert you when I make changes.

~Tina

16 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You drug Mary into this kicking and screaming, didn't you? Awesome that she's there to help you.

Brian Miller said...

ha..i hear you on them wanting new nicknames..the transporter...like jason statham right...haha

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I can understand why your son doesn't want to be Yellow Boy anymore. He has an image to uphold.

Tina, thank you so much for buying my book. That means a lot to me!

Jen said...

I haven't ever given anyone the option of creating their own nicknames. I just make them up! Sometimes I've gone back and changed every post a person was mentioned in because I didn't like his or her nickname. Maybe I ought to try your approach and let them come up with the names.

Jeremy [Retro] said...

great bunch of super heroes names... i want to be rocket man... :)

klahanie said...

Hey Tina!

Speak to me! Nicknames,eh! How good is that list. Did you know my nickname is "Mr. Awesome Dude"? Being so shy and humble, cannot think why.

Loving you write in the plural as in wonderful readers. You know me, I'm happy to be typing to just the one person who actually reads my not worth reading site. Okay, I readt and I cannot forget the one dog and the wayward chipmunk that reads it. You have a peaceful weekend, Tina. Sending you peaceful, positive wishes.

Your starstruck fan,

Gary :)

Jo said...

I had a nickname once when I was a school kid. I did not like it, it was unflattering and somewhat cruel. So I am not fond of nicknames. Jo is quite good enough for me. Love your nicknames for your family.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

Tara Tyler said...

love your aka's!
and great to know you, hostess!

Shannon Lawrence said...

The Transporter is the most awesome nickname yet! I went the opposite way after a fatal car accident I was involved in, and can't stand to let others drive me (unless I trust them implicitly). I could be saving money on a trip up to Denver next week, but I refuse to carpool unless people want to be passengers in my car.

Shannon at The Warrior Muse

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tina .. I've loved your nicknames - pity about Yellow Boy - but I guess it had to be changed .. and then Sister MK ... that's so good you've support around you ... with all the clustering of falls, illness around perhaps she's an even bigger blessing than you admit!!

I prefer to drive myself .. but then I consider I'm a very good driver .. and frankly cover my brain with something when being driven by some people!

My uncle got ordered off driving - by me! and my mother just realised she needed to be in the passenger seat - I breathed a sigh of relief.

It's excellent that Transporter is getting so much practise in ...

I think I called everyone fatso or boot - the two cats and my two brothers answered! I do/did have a nickname .. it's now a computer something or other - well I'm still called it .. on occasions ...

Looking forward to SMK's post .. cheers and have a good weekend without any falling overs etc etc .. Hilary

Martha said...

Great post and I love the nicknames. The transporter is an especially cool one!

Rosalind Adam said...

I love that you negotiate their nicknames. My kids are of the 'don't you dare write about me' type so they're forever known as Daughter and Son because sometimes you just have to talk about them!

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, changes... I've never given my family options as to what I call them, though I DID respectfully call my husband HWMNBMOTI when he told me never to mention him on the internet... erm... Childings still are usually Thing 1 and Thing 2, or Tartlings...

Congrats on your son's permit! (Daughter drives, and it's pretty handy)

Tina said...

testing new signature

Tina @ Life is Good
Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge Blog
@TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

Cheryl said...

I agree with OYT, at 13 it's just sissy to be called YB. I mean, really, mom, what's up with that?

I'm smiling all over that The Transporter has his permit and is driving your Miss Daisy butt all over town allowing you to relax in a car. BOOYAH!

By the way, I'd offer to be a minion but I'm already a minion in so many other places, I simply don't have time for minionosity.

Philip Verghese 'Ariel' said...

Hi Tina, Good to be here again,
The Names and Nick names well
presented, I too have a story
about a nick name, at last i
took that as my pen name. Yes,
I wrote a post too about it,
You can read that in my pages
Have a wonderful time ahead
Thanks for sharing more about
you and of course about the nick....
Keep inform
Best
Phil