Monday, October 15, 2012

MMM: Monday Movie Meme: The Power of We


It's MMM: Monday Movie Meme at Nicole's, and once again, I'm making it on a Monday! I don't suppose it's much of an accomplishment, when I only seem to be able to post once a week these days.

I do have lots of good excuses. I've been out meeting the many encouraging folks who are part of Alex's Insecure Writers SupportGroup. I've also still been visiting the fun members of his Ninja Army who participated in the Favorite Genres Blogfest. In other words, traveling has trumped writing. Does that happen to you? I know that this wonderful community we occupy has a give and take. I can't expect to JUST blog and have them come. I know I must visit. However, I've got to find the balance. 

I really like what Nicole picked for today. “The Power of We”. Movies about people who work together for a common cause, for the common good.  Remember to click on the titles to get the IMDB info.


I know this isn't a movie, but it's the first thing that popped into my mind. These stranded plane crash survivors had to work together, not just to stay alive, but to find a way to be rescued. I justify straying from a movie because these episodes are just as rentable as a movie. The first two seasons are the best, and many stopped there. I do believe this series suffered from several problems. No one could have predicted how popular it would be, how it would become a water-cooler staple. Consequently, they didn't really know where they were heading when they first started, nor how to get there. No, I don't really get the ending. But if you want an example of “Live together or die alone” then the first few seasons of this amazing series will give you that, and a lot more. Like Josh Holloway...


I guess I'm on a plane crash theme as well, today. A plane crashes in the Alaskan wilderness and the survivors must band together to fight off the wolf pack that is hunting them. I will not tell you I enjoyed this movie, it was way too intense for me emotionally, graphically, and I didn't get the ending I wanted. But it held me in it's grip from start to finish, and I spent most of the movie with tears in my eyes. It gets to you. Grabs you. Pulls you in. Just like the wolves that pick them off one by one...does anyone survive?

What movies do you recommend about people working together for the common good? Seen The Grey? What did you think? You can answer in my comments, or write your own post and link up at Nicole's.


6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry I'm keeping you so busy!
I really liked The Grey. It wasn't what I expected, but it was better than what I expected.
At at first glance I thought it said the Power of Wii and wondered what Nintendo had to do with it...

Brian Miller said...

ALIVE...about the soccer team jumped to mind...I like LOST...it was fun...not sure i have seen the Grey...need to add that to my list...

Annalisa Crawford said...

I haven't seen either of these. I'm impressed you're still off visiting blogs :-)

JoJo said...

After being sucked into the XFiles only to never really find out what happened to Mulder's sister Samantha, I refused to watch Lost. lol I just couldn't invest my time into a show like that.

I can't think of a movie about people working for the common good.

Marianne (Mare) Baker Ball said...

I was obsessed w/ LOST. LOVED it. Some of the writing was the best. I still miss it. :-( Still looking for a good replacement, but...alas, nothing.

Nicole said...

Nice choices...funny how you created a theme within a theme. Plane crashes, oh my! You have me thinking about that movie "Alive" where people had to eat flesh to survive....and the flesh wasn't even grilled or barbecued...it was frozen cold and sorta rotting away.

Anyway, I didn't see The Grey but its a movie that I would watch since Liam Neeson is in it. He's good at acting. I did, however, watch a few episodes of Lost and that was a really good show. Too bad, I didn't keep up with all of the seasons -- or even a full season, at that. LOL

Thanks for participating in this week's meme :)

~Nicole