Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Ladder

My life is as grey
As depression.
I'm sinking, sinking,
Can't get a grip
The ladder, out of my reach
And with each day,
Receding.
Further and further.

My pit used to have one
Each day I'd crawl
Through the mire
Through the muck
Scratching, and
Digging, and
Desperately grasping
For that ladder
Which kept being
Pulled
Further and further
Out of my reach

There were days
Where I'd see it
Look!
I can see it!
Maybe I can get there!
But then

Life.
Grey,
Oppressive,
Painful, and
Breathless.
Would smother me
With its inertia
And I'd sit
Trying to breathe

But today?
I take a deep breath,
Look once again,
And there it is.
I found the ladder.
I reach.

10 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Reaching up is always the way to go! sandie

purejoy said...

glad there is a ladder… press on.

Brian Miller said...

keep reaching...its always there, the depression just hides it in the fog....

Ellen aka Ellie said...

First off, I spell grey grey also, not gray.

So I like you.

Second, I'm glad this poem had a "happy ending," now climb!

Natasha said...

How about a giant hug from across the miles? The ladder is there- it is just good at camouflage.

LemonyRenee' said...

(((hugs))) Here's to a big, bright ladder that is always in the same place.

Jenny said...

I'm so glad you found it. I was getting ready to throw down a rope.

Your writing is just amazing.

H said...

Your pain comes through in your writing. Hang in there! Don't give up!!

One Photo said...

Tina you really are on a roll with your poetry - it is not easy to convey as much as you manage to do with so very few words and to make good poetry out of short punchy lines but you do it so very well.

If this is related to your own very wonderful self as everyone else commenting seems to believe then I am glad that you have found the ladder, and if you need a hand hauling you out I will only be too glad to offer mine.

magiceye said...

this is wonderful and so true!